Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Veganized: Ravioli Salad from Heidi Swanson's Supernatural Everyday

I say veganized like it's a triumph.


Which, it is.


But, in this case, as with most of Heidi Swanson's recipes from her blog, 101 Cookbooks, or her new cookbook, Super Natural Every Day: Well-loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen, it's pretty easy to vegan-ize.


To give us a preview of her newest cookbook, Heidi released this sampler, which has six much-loved, (and much-to-love) recipes from her new book.


One weeknight, I decided to try out the Ravioli Salad, which was easily veganized by:
  • replacing the Parmesan cheese with some mozzarella-flavored Daiya shreds (I'm not a big fan of the vegan Parm options that currently exist). 
  • choosing a ready-made vegan ravioli. 
This is a very elegant, but quickly assembled dish. So, it's great for an interesting and flavorful weeknight dinner. It's also great as an appetizer or side dish at a dinner party. If you bring it to a potluck, chances are most people won't even know it's vegan.


I started by putting a pot of hot water on to boil (for the ravioli). And, while I waited for that to boil, I prepared the cilantro-pepita pesto, by pulsing up some olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro, garlic, and pepitas, in my Vitamix (which I am obsessed with, and could dedicate a whole post to).





Initially, I just removed the Parmesan cheese to make this pesto vegan. But, when I tasted it after initially blending it, I did want to add some cheese-like flavor and texture. So, I added a small handful of Daiya Mozzarella Shreds, some sea salt, and blended some more, until I had a deliciously fresh, tangy, and creamy cilantro pesto:





By this time, the water was boiling. For my Ravioli, I chose:





Rising Moon Organics has a couple of vegan flavors. I thought that the butternut squash would go well with the cilantro-pepita pesto and olives. (And, ultimately, I think I was right.)


I started with frozen ravioli:





And, seven minutes later, had this soft and pillowy pasta:





 which I tossed with a spoonful of the pesto.


I let it sit for a few minutes while I started to clean up the kitchen - to let the pesto sink in. Then, I added some more pesto, and some chopped black olives, and gently tossed the dish again.


I transferred it to a serving dish, and sprinkled it with the rest of the olives and some roasted pepitas.
Heidi's recipe called for also garnishing the dish with some fresh thyme - I didn't have any on hand, so used some dried thyme.


And, here's dinner!













LET US KNOW: Have you tried other recipes from Super Natural Every Day: Well-loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen? What are your favorite recipes from the book? Ones that are easily veganized?


Want more great recipes, and top veg stories from around the web, delivered right to your inbox? Subscribe to The Veg Post (the next issue, exclusively for subscribers, is coming out tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment